Senior Director, Real Estate Counsel
[This role is fully remote; we put a location because some job boards require it.]
Kasa is looking for a Senior Director, Real Estate Counsel to join our legal team as we help negotiate the exciting deals that propel our growth. This role will report to our General Counsel and is a fast-paced role that is ideal for a business-minded attorney who thrives on deal flow. You will work closely with our Real Estate and Growth team as Kasa expands into new markets throughout the United States. This is a rare opportunity to join a fast-growing company in a critical role that is equal parts lawyer and strategic advisor.
Attorneys with 5+ years of experience in commercial real estate who have experience negotiating complex leases, property management agreements and hotel management agreements are encouraged to apply. This is a remote-first role that will periodically travel for team get-togethers.
About the Team
Kasa's in-house attorneys and regulatory compliance professionals are split between California and the East Coast and have decades of combined experience working at top-tier law firms, land use consulting firms, and city planning departments.
The Legal team is responsible for all subject areas that one would expect at a high-growth technology-enabled real estate company, including corporate, M&A, employment, intellectual property, litigation, privacy, commercial contracting, and product counseling. In addition, the Legal team handles a high volume of complex, fast-paced negotiations and provides ongoing counseling to Kasa's Real Estate team.
Day in the life of a Kasa Real Estate Counsel
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts for a wide range of real estate transactions, including commercial real estate leases, property management agreements, hotel management agreements, and ancillary real estate documents such as amendments, assignments, SNDAs, estoppels, NDAs and license agreements.
- Work closely with the Regulatory team to ensure deals are structured in a manner that achieves compliance with local land use and zoning as well as a smooth licensing process where necessary.
- Work closely with the Real Estate team to ensure deal terms capture all-important business needs and considerations and provide advice to proactively manage the company's legal and operational risks while supporting business goals.
- Counsel relevant Kasa team members on key agreement terms, facilitating a smooth and professional relationship between Kasa's property-facing teams and our property partners. Address lease and agreement interpretation issues, assess risk and make sound and practical judgment calls.
- Assist in managing Kasa's relationships with external counsel.
- 5+ years of experience as a commercial real estate attorney, with experience negotiating complex leases, property management agreements and/or hotel management agreements preferred.
- Admission in good standing to practice law in at least one state.
- Excellent contract drafting and deal negotiation skills. You can hold your own when sitting across the table from seasoned opposing counsel.
- Flexible, well-organized and comfortable working in a fast-paced technology environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to handle a variety of complex agreements under tight deadlines and high pressure.
- You're highly motivated and able to maintain efficiency while working independently.
- You're proactive by nature and can act decisively when needed.
- You’re a team player who is committed to uplifting your coworkers and the company.
- You're a creative problem solver who enjoys thinking outside the box to craft terms that close deals.
- You understand regulations applicable with hotels and short-term rentals and have experience structuring management agreements that comply with those regulations.
- You are comfortable using a contract management system such as Ironclad.
Curious about the Kasa experience? Save 15% when you book on kasa.com
- ✈ Kasa Travel Credit: We love to travel! Kasa employees get an allowance of free stays with us in any of our locations, plus a discount on any night for friends and family.
- 📈 Generous Stock Option Plan: At Kasa, our compensation philosophy is to offer a total compensation package that over-indexes on equity to encourage our team to think like owners (by being owners) and benefit from the growth in value that our collective hard work creates.
- 🙌 Flexible PTO: Full-time exempt Kasa employees are encouraged to take time off as they need and see fit, ensuring that it's not disruptive to their work.
- 📱 Cell phone reimbursement: We reimburse a portion of your monthly cell phone bill to say thanks for using your personal phone during the work day.
- 📈 401(k) plan: As you invest in yourself and your future, Kasa invests in you too: we match 100% of the first 2% of deferred salary, and 50% of the next 2%.
- 🩺 Health Coverage: We’ve invested in comprehensive health insurance options to help when you need it most, including a company-sponsored plan with fertility coverage.
- ⭐ Other Perks: Qualifying full-time roles are eligible for a wi-fi stipend, home office stipend, and more!
Who We Are
Kasa is a Real Estate Technology company that is building a global accommodations brand unlike any other. We partner with owners of multifamily, single-family, and boutique hospitality properties, transforming underutilized real estate into stylishly furnished, professionally managed units that cater to business and leisure travelers alike. We took the best that hotels and short-term rentals had to offer and created a new class of hospitality that is well-priced, trustworthy, and offers a large selection of great locations!
Behind the scenes, we build technology that combines with our innovative operations to grow a globally scalable offering that delivers high-quality stays. Our guests enjoy seamless check-ins, spacious apartments, and attractive amenities, helping them feel right at home. If anything comes up, our remote guest experience team is available 24/7, ensuring our hospitality is always felt, though rarely seen.
Kasa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Kasa Living is an E-Verify participant. We will verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States by matching information employees provide on the form i-9 against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). You may find more information here and here.
Kasa does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or People & Talent team.
The Kasa Talent Acquisition team will only communicate from email addresses that use the URLs kasa.com and us.greenhouse-mail.io. We will not use apps such as Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, or Google Hangouts for communicating with you. We will never ask you to send us money or technology to work for our company. If you believe you are a scam victim, please review your local government consumer protections guidance and reach out to them directly. US-based applicants may refer to this article from consumer.ftc.gov for more details.