Senior Software Engineer I
Who We Are
SmartRent is a B2B SaaS company that develops innovative smart home solutions for property managers, community staff, and residents of multifamily and single family homes.
We’re doing big things in the proptech world! SmartRent has been recognized as the winner of HousingWire’s Tech100 Real Estate awards for the most innovative tech company serving the mortgage and real estate industries; named #1 in Growjo’s “100 Fastest Growing Companies in Arizona” Awards for 2021; and recognized as a Silver Stevie Winner for Contact Center of the Year in the technology sector—and we’re just getting started.
SmartRent is looking to hire a Senior Software Engineer I to join our dynamic Access Control Team. In this role, you’ll be working on SmartRent's integrated Access Control platform that controls access to common areas through mobile, PIN code, card, or fob credentials. Our customers can monitor and manage property access remotely, providing flexibility and a safer community for all. Our sophisticated access solutions, from intelligent locks to seamless intercom systems, are designed for the modern world, including technology for PIN codes, key fobs, BLE locks, and intercom systems.
- Architect and develop comprehensive end-to-end solutions, including both backend and frontend components, for our cutting-edge access control products.
- Regularly engage with third-party APIs to enhance our hardware functionality and ensure seamless integrations with external vendor systems.
- Design and implement robust backend systems capable of direct interaction with field-deployed hardware, optimizing performance and reliability.
- Develop versatile APIs that not only facilitate interconnectivity within our suite of internal systems but also bolster the capabilities of our external product offerings.
- Craft and maintain APIs leveraged by our mobile applications to deliver a consistent and secure access control experience.
- Demonstrate adaptability by working across a wide technological stack, including backend development, frontend, and React Native mobile applications, to create cohesive features..
- Ensure the quality and reliability of code through comprehensive testing, including unit, integration, and end-to-end tests, adhering to best practices.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including product management, QA and design to conceptualize and implement thoughtful solutions that address the needs of our customers and increase the value of our product.
- Take the initiative in diagnosing and resolving production issues, whether they are software or hardware-related, leveraging various logging services to meticulously track down and address the root cause of problems to ensure system reliability and performance.
- 3-7 years of professional experience working with backend programming languages such as Elixir, NodeJS, Ruby, Python, or PHP.
- 3-7 years of professional experience working with relational databases such as PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Autonomous self-starter who proactively identifies issues and innovates solutions that address core operational challenges.
- Effective communicator who can articulate complex technical concepts and collaborate efficiently with various stakeholders.
- Exhibits a strong sense of ownership, with a track record of delivering results and a commitment to following through on projects.
- Prioritizes security, implementing solutions with a defense-first approach to protect data integrity and user privacy.
- Collaborative team player who approaches every project with a collective mindset, aiming to contribute to and elevate the team's success.
- Experience with IoT and real-time data processing systems is highly desirable.
- A knack for creating user-centric designs that streamline operations for customer success teams and field technicians.
- A thorough understanding of database management systems and the ability to manipulate and present data effectively.
- Willingness to stay ahead of the curve regarding new technologies and industry best practices in access control and security systems.
- A history of working in agile development environments and a penchant for continuous learning and improvement.
Technologies We Use
- Elixir / Phoenix
- React (with a home-grown component library)
- React Native (for our mobile applications)
- Jira / Confluence
NOTE: This is a hybrid position based out of our Scottsdale, AZ headquarters. Must have the ability and willingness to come into the office up to 1-3 times a week as needed for events and team collaboration.
- Do the hard work and go out of your way to deliver excellence
- Own outcomes and learn from your mistakes
- Are a collaborative and supportive team player; win or lose you lift others up
- Value authenticity, other's perspectives, and diversity in the workplace
- Have a passion for smart tech and the real estate industry